“Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.” - Plato(427-347 B.C.)
Thus comes the important role of exercise to maintain our natural health. We now know that cancer is a preventable disease; atleast 70% cancers can be prevented by just altering our life-styles. There are lots of ways by which we can prevent cancer of which one is exercise of course. More than 200 epidemiologic studies have been done to show that exercise can prevent Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer, Lung Cancer, Endometrial (Uterus) Cancer, Kidney Cancer and probably Prostate Cancer also.
~Breast Cancer: At least 60 studies were done till 2006 on exercise to show the reduction of Breast Cancer risk. The data show that inactive women are more prone to get Breast Cancer. On an average, around 60 percent reduction of Breast Cancer risk can be obtained by physical activity in both pre-menopausal and post-menopausal women by only 30- minute exercise daily.
~Colon Cancer: Research works revealed that risk of Colon Cancer can be reduced by 30 to 40 percent relative to those who lead the sedentary life as it is evident from more than 50 studies till 2006.
~Lung Cancer: Similarly Lung Cancer risk is also reduced by exercise and this is shown in almost 21 studies till 2005
~Endometrical Cancer: We have got about 20 studies till 2006, which reveal the physical activity is reducing the risk of endometrial cancer incidence by 20 to 40 percent.
~Prostate Cancer: There are about 36 research works on the relation of Prostate Cancer and physical activity till 2006. These studies show there might be probability to reduce the risk of Prostate Cancer by exercise.
How much exercise is sufficient? Research works show that exercise for 30 minutes daily is sufficient to reduce your cancer risk.
What kind of exercise we should do?
1) Go on cycling, dancing, skipping, walking, running, swimming etc.
2) Get off the bus or tram one stop earlier and just walk the rest to reach your destination.
3) Do your household works extensively like cleaning the rooms, gardening, mowing the lawn.
4) Do the works which need sitting and standing.
5) Instead of using lift or escalator, walk up the stairs.
6) Involve with sports like football, cricket, tennis. All sorts of indoor games, athletics etc.
7) Yoga-exercise, light jogging etc. may be preferable.
8) Join a sports-club or a team.
9) Try often to walk to visit your friends rather than send them an e-mail or s.m.s.
10) Try to vary the type of physical activity, so that you would not get bored.
11) Last of all, if your job compel you to sit for a long hours, try to get up of the chair and move for two minutes at an interval of every hour.
Please remember “Prevention is better than cure” and this is applicable to cancer also.