An anti-cancer diet is an important strategy you can use to reduce your risk of cancer. For example, if you eat at least two servings of fruits and three servings of vegetables daily and eat the right amount of food, drink plenty of water to stay at a healthy weight, you have achieved the half goal.
Beside this, the nature, mother of all of us, provides all the medicine for our better living & cure. To get optimum benefit of those medicinal properties of fruits & veggies, it is always suggested to eat seasonal & local.
Because Foods that are in-season generally have more nutrients than others. Almost all seasonal foods have some medicinal properties to fight several diseases. But regular & proper intake of some super foods helps better management & prevention for cancer.
Just include these five super foods in regular diet, in proper amount & get the benefit.
- Green tea: -Green tea has powerful antioxidants like flavonoids & EpigallocatechinGallate (EGCG) that may protect against cancer. Multiple studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of various types of cancer. Regular intake:-not more than 5 cup/day.
- Flaxseeds:-flaxseeds (also called linseeds) are a rich source of micronutrients, dietary fiber, manganese, vitamin B1, and the essential fatty acid- alpha-linolenic acid, also known as ALA or omega-3. Flax seed benefits have been proven time and time again and even including fighting breast, prostate, ovarian and colon cancer. Regular intake: – 2 tsp./day.
- Garlic: – Add garlic to everything you eat. It contains sulfur compounds that may stimulate the immune system’s natural defenses against cancer, and may have the potential to reduce tumor growth. Studies suggest that garlic can reduce the incidence of stomach cancer. Regular intake: – 10-12 cloves/day.
- Citrus food:-A daily dose of citrus fruits may cut the risk of mouth, throat, and stomach cancers by half. Regular intake:-2-3 citrus fruit/day.
- Turmeric:-Recent studies show turmeric is a powerful adversary to cancer. Curcumin shows a marked ability to inhibit cancer cell growth, boost antioxidant levels and the immune system, and kill cancer cells. It seems to work on improving mitochondrial function at a cellular level, and it improves metabolism. Even against drug-resistant strains of leukemia, curcumin caused cell death of cancer cells. Regular intake: – 2 to 2.5 grams of fresh turmeric/every alternative day.
IMPORTANT:Keep in mind that seasonal foods vary depending on region, meaning priority should be given to local foods.
- Author:Ms. Nabaruna Ganguly, Kolkata, Dietitian, D. S. Research Centre, Kolkata
- Tags:Cancer, Cancer prevention, Nutrition, Diet